Monday, March 23, 2009

but...i don't know how to stand on 3 legs!




We had a productive and very relaxing day today at the barn. I'm not one to like rope halters, but since i've heard nothing but good things about them on mustangs, I figured I'd give them a chance. Plus I like the no snaps to break thing, not that Ruger breaks them, but it's nicer not to have that problem. Anyhow, I just wanted to have a day for Ruger and I to connect and bond, so to speak. I bought her a pretty new purple rope halter and they had a bargain bin of sorts of pads, so while rummaging through it i found this nifty little purple, black, and teal number that i thought would look nice. So i spent $40 and my pony is all spiffed up! :)

I worked on swinging ropes today, that seems to be our main scary thing(possibly roped and a bad experience?) i worked on swinging it up and around her head like a halter, and i must admit she stood there like a broke old horse, so I thought, why not just put it on, i did and again, nothing tragic. Being ballsy I took it on and off 4 or 5 times till she realized i wasn't going to cut off her air with it, and I tied it on her head. now...how to get that red halter off without her thinking i'm going to kill her. for all of you ladies reading this, you all know how to take a bra off while keeping your shirt on no?? well, maybe I'm the only one with that talent! lol. I worked the red halter off and tah-dah! she was wearing my pretty purple number and her old red halter was on the floor.

good mare!

I brushed her butt today(she didn't do a damn thing!) I was more scared of her kicking...but thats what you get when you always get to work with the kicking horses!! :) I curried and brushed her whole body on both sides, took out her braids, which were more like dreadlocks, brushed it. Then set out to work on picking up her feet...well to be honest I was just trying to desensitize her legs when she just picked it up so I grabbed it and worked with her for a while. She looked like she wanted to bite, but a well placed "ahhhtt!" and she didn't do it again. I ended up picking up both front feet with no problems and CLEANED them out! When I get brave enough, maybe tomarrow we will attempt the back ones.

ta-ta for now!

-Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment